Friday 25 January 2013

Peter Murphy: Professional Footballer with Accrington Stanley


My name is Peter Murphy I am 22 years old and a past pupil of All Saints, and I am currently a professional footballer for Accrington Stanley in League 2 of the English Football League.

1. Achievements to date?

I have made over a 100 appearances in the football league. I was in the Accrington team that reached the playoffs for League 1, back in 2011. I have also had the honour of captaining Accrington for the first time this year.

2. Inspirations and motivation for taking up football? Any particular role models that have inspired you?

My dad first and foremost was my first role model and it was him who got me into football.
I would go and watch him play of a Saturday afternoon playing for local Kirkby teams. Then as I got older I would go and watch Everton play. So from a very early age my dream was to be a professional footballer. Steven Gerrard is a player I have always admired and still do. However I play centre half, so I always look at the likes of John Terry, Jamie Carragher, to see how they play in that position. I look at how they read the game and use the ball.

3.What are your goals?

My main goal is to play at the highest possible level in the football league. To do that I must play well for Accrington Stanley, and hope we can rise up the leagues. I am also trying to get on the physiotherapy course at Salford University.

4.How is your training structured? What does a typical week look like for you?

Diary of the week

Monday is a recovery day for the lads that have played on the Saturday, which entails a trip to the gym for a bike session, a swim, and a Jacuzzi. Any teammates who never got any game time will go and do a training session.

On a Tuesday we will all get in for half 9 and training will start at half 10 which involves possession games, passing drills, and small sided games. We will be back inside for dinner at half 12 before we have an afternoon session, which will either be cardio work or strength training, depending on what the manager feels we need.

Wednesday we will be off but most people will do their own training to keep themselves in peak condition.

On a Thursday we will be in for half 9 again, then training at half 10. Training is focused more towards the game of a Saturday. We will go through team shape and patterns of play, and end with some 6 a-side matches.

On a Friday we won't do much, just go through some set pieces for the game on the Saturday. We have dinner as a squad then home to rest.

Saturday is game day, we will meet at the ground for half 1 and start to get ready for the game. The manager will read the team out just before 2 o clock, I will then start to focus on the game and follow all the instructions that the manager has asked of me.
Sunday is a recovery day which the manager will either give is a day off if we have had a good result, or get us in if he feels we need speaking to.



5.What does a typical diet consist in preparation for a game?

Your diet has to be very good to give yourself the best possible chance to perform at your best so no junk food for me. On a Friday I will normally have pasta to get the carbohydrates (energy food) in for the next day. The day of a game I don’t overeat. I get up and have Weetabix, and then at about half 11, I will have 2 pieces of toast and some beans.





6.What do you like to read? What is your favourite book?

 I like to read autobiographies of people associated with sport. I have recently finished reading Gary Neville’s “Red”. I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in football and seeing the character needed to be a top professional.

7.Favourite music genre and favourite artist?

I don't really have a particular type of music I am into. I like quite a lot. I have got One Directions album in my car at the moment though if that tells you anything about my taste in music.



8. What is your proudest moment to date?

 My proudest moment would have to be making my football league debut away at Wrexham. They needed to win to stay up so there was a very good crowd. I've never been more nervous in my life but once the game started I settled down and we eventually went on to win 3-1.



9. What does coming from Kirkby mean to you and what is good about it?

Coming from Kirkby means a lot, it’s where I have lived all my life. It’s good because people like to see you do well for yourself. People are always asking my family and friends how I am getting on. People want to see me being successful. I appreciate their encouragement and support. When I am about Kirkby, people will wish me good luck or ask how are Accrington doing. There are also a lot of successful footballers and sports people who have come from Kirkby which also inspires you to do as well as you can. 

Thanks for reading!

Regards

Peter Murphy



No comments:

Post a Comment