Wednesday 23 January 2013

Michelle Hinnigan: The life of a female footballer


1. Quick explanation of who I am. Past All Saints pupil, from Kirkby. Here is what I am currently doing?

Me lifting the European Under 19's Cup

My name is Michelle Hinnigan I am 22 years old and from Kirkby. I am currently in my final year at Salford University studying Physical Activity Health and Fitness to become a PE Teacher. I play semi professional football player for Everton Ladies in the WSL. I have just got back from an England Under 23 pre-season training camp in La Manga (Spain), were we trained hard all week and had a friendly against Russia senior women’s team (won 2-1, and I scored a cross/shot). I am now in pre season for Everton after having 3 months out of season which consists of training 4 times a week with the club, and we are expected to do sessions on our own. As well as playing football I have a part time job in a call centre as the women’s game is not full time like the men’s.

2. Achievements to date?

My achievements to date in football are a FA Cup Winners medal with Everton and Gold European Championship medal for England Under 19’s. I became the first England captain since Booby Moore in 1966 to raise a major trophy for any England team.  Hopefully there are many more of these memories to come.

Celebrating with my team mates

3.Inspirations and motivation for taking up football. Any particular role models that have inspired you?

If it wasn’t for my cousin getting me involved in football I think I would probably work in Barclaycard like the rest of my family (Thank God he did). At the age of 8 I played for a boy’s football team were I had to stop playing at 10 due to the rules of the league. This motivated me to go on and prove that football is not just a sport for boys. Without the help of my mum, dad and family I wouldn’t be where I am today as they have put a lot of effort in and supported me over the years to help me achieve my goals.

Being a centre midfielder myself I have looked up to Steven Gerrard and Xavi as role models, watching these two play has inspired me to be successful.

4. What are your goals?

My goals for this season are to win silver ware with Everton and work hard to hopefully make the step from the Under 23’s to the senior England team. My other goal out of football is to graduate from Salford University in the summer.  

5.How is your training structured in La Manga (Spain) as an elite athlete

A picture of our facilities in La Manga

A typical day in La Manga pre-season training camp is:

8.30 : Wake up

8.45 : Pee tests (to see how hydrated we are ), weight, temperature and lifetsyles.

9.00 : Breakfast

10.30-12.30: Training

13:00: Dinner

15:00- 16.30: Training

17:00: Snacks (Protein Drinks, Recovery Bars)

17:30: Pool and Recovery. (Ice Baths)

19:00: Team Meeting

19.30: Tea

Rest and Recovery time at Night : Sleep

Whilst in La Mange (Spain) I had the honour of meeting Vincente Del Bosque. The manager of the most successful National Football team ever. I am next to him on the right as you look at the picture.

Me and my team mates with Vincente Del Bosque

6. What does a typical diet consist of in your preparation?

When I am in season I take more care with the types of foods that I eat. So not a lot of Chinese food for me. The day before a game is ‘carb up’ day so on a Saturday I make sure my diet consists of wholegrain carbohydrates such as pasta, rice or potatoes/sweet potatoes with some chicken and vegetables to provide enough fuel for the game and maximise performance. Then a typical pre match breakfast consists of porridge around 8.30 and then about 10.00am beans on toast with plenty of fluid to keep hydrated.

7. What do you like to read, what is your favourite book?

I am not going to lie the last time I read a book (other than a journal) was about 5 years ago which was Steven Gerrard’s Autobiography even though I am an Evertonian it was a great read.

8.Favourite music genre and favourite artist?

My taste in music varies from Dance to R&B to Pop (One Direction are my guilty pleasure). In my spare time away from football I like to go to as many concerts/music festivals as I can. My favourite artist/artists at the moment has to be Rihanna and Swedish House Mafia (for motivation in the gym). 

9. What is your proudest moment to date?

My proudest moment to date football wise has to be lifting the Under 19 European championship trophy in 2009. With us being the first English team at all levels since the Mens World Cup in 1966 this was a special moment for me.

 10. What does coming from Kirkby mean to you?

Coming from Kirkby is where I was born and raised the spirit within the community is exceptional. Kirkby itself has developed a number of successful athletes who compete in many different sports. Being brought up from Kirkby myself has inspired me to go one step further and achieve my goals to become successful for example the likes of Leighton Baines, Ryan Taylor, Craig Noone, Ricky Lambert and Peter Murphy who are all successful footballers. Without the education, support and encouragement from staff at All Saints I would not be where I am today. Attending All Saints allowed me to prepare myself for the outside world and develop new skills and put them into practice both on and off the football pitch. 

Anyone interested in finding out how to get involved in sports, especially football I will be in All Saints over the coming months on placement so feel free to see me and ask.

Thanks for reading

Michelle Hinnigan


No comments:

Post a Comment